Once upon a time we used ITIL® to bring our Apollo 13 mission to the moon. Bringing a MarsLander to Mars requires a higher level of Service Delivery capability. There is a lot more software involved. To effectively manage the Service delivery we need to be more Agile and Lean and we have to work as teams, ensuring software, hardware and services are in sync and able to respond rapidly to changes. The ITIL capabilities are still relevant but must be more responsive to rapid changes – the words Agile Service Management enter the conversation. But what does that mean?
To fulfill all the demands of the customer, IT Teams must deliver fast, reliable, safe, error free solutions. An error in space cannot be readily fixed by sending an on-site engineer. The way we need to work on the MarsLander mission is new. We are learning as we go. We need to be flexible and continuously learn and improve our services and capabilities in small steps to ensure we are continually aligned with customer needs. At the same time we are more and more dependent upon an eco-system of partners and suppliers who must also be aligned and flexible to changing needs.
This simulation is about exploring and experiencing how you can transform your current IT organization into a more Agile and Lean organization. The following aspects will be experienced and discussed:
- How can service teams help and how to create high performing teams?
- How can we visualize our work, using KanBan?
- How can we increase the flow of work?
- How can we integrate vendors into our services?
- How to work closer together with development?
- How to continuously improve our services?
- How to become a flexible service organization that respond rapidly?
- How to become more customer focused, and develop this ‘customer thinking’?
- How to effectively manage workload (end-to-end) and how to reduce unplanned work?
- How to increase customer and employee satisfaction?
This simulation is designed for roles inside and outside of IT. Since this simulation is aimed at exploring and experiencing a new way of working this simulation does not require any specific knowledge to participate.
- Employees of IT (Operations) teams can explore how a more service oriented way of working can make their work more enjoyable and better.
- IT managers and team leaders can learn how to coach and facilitate their teams towards high performing teams.
- Development teams can experience how to work together with IT Operation teams.
- Business roles can experience how their roles may change if the organization starts to work in a more Agile and Lean way of working.
- ITSM specialists can learn what ‘Agile Service management’ means.
How to make ITIL more responsive and fit for use in this new environment of rapid, unpredictable change in which solutions must be deployed rapidly, yet safely. Simulation also helps IT Operations teams to take the next steps towards alignment with the DevOps philosophy and ITIL Practitioner guiding principles